Saturday, September 17, 2011

Margarita Challenge


Reduced calorie or “Skinny Margaritas” are very popular right now.  Understandably so; margaritas are delicious but can easily consume your daily calorie allotment.  The movement to reduce the guilt associated with this delicious beverage has benefited many people, me included.  I decided in the name of science to do some extensive research.  Over the course of a few weeks (or a couple of nights) I compared 2 “Skinny” margaritas; Skinny Girl Margaritas and Jose Cuervo Light Margaritas.

First let’s discuss the “Skinny Girl Margarita”.  The claim is that this product is all natural and the ingredients are listed as blue agave tequila, natural flavors and caramel color.  To prepare this beverage I simply filled a glass with ice and then poured in the skinny margarita.  The first taste was crisp, clean, and refreshing to the palate.  I felt that it could use something more so I added a lime wedge.  Now, it is perfect.  This drink really tastes like it is simply fresh lime juice and tequila.  It is not too sweet or too strong, it’s very good.



Now let’s talk about Jose Cuervo.  First you will notice the difference in color; Jose’s Light Margarita is very yellow, like the color of Mountain Dew.  The ingredients are listed as Jose Cuervo Gold tequila, triple sec liqueur, natural flavor, sucralose, and artificial color.  This beverage also recommends simply pour over ice and enjoy.  Well pour over ice I did, enjoy I did not.  It’s incredibly sweet and almost syrupy.  I tried adding more tequila to try and break up the sweetness but it didn’t help.  I also added a fresh lime but I am afraid no amount of citric acid could cut through this syrup.  Finally I actually tried watering it down to no avail.  The sucralose is absolutely overwhelming and frankly this beverage could not be salvaged, it really is awful.  And to add insult to injury it was more expensive than the Skinny Girl Margarita.

My recommendation is to stick with Skinny Girl.  Bethenny Frankel did it right with this drink and that is exactly why it is so popular. 


No comments:

Post a Comment